Product launch by Chris Walton | Instagram: @thechriswalton
THE RESEARCH & RATIONALE
Doug Paddon-Jones, Ph.D. professor of nutrition and metabolism at the University of Texas Medical Branch has gone on record with research saying “Skeletal muscle protein synthesis is maximized by 25 to 35 grams of high-quality protein during a meal.”.
Protein synthesis is the building and repairing of muscle – exercise creates micro-tears in your muscles. The harder you work out in training, the more tears occur and this is where supplementing with a protein comes in, protein helps to repair these tears, which then causes your muscles to grow.
If your muscles receive less than 25g of protein per sitting, the muscle tears brought on by training will continue since there is a lack of repair/building materials. In the same vein, if your muscles receive more than 35g protein, they have a surplus of these repair/building materials and the protein goes to other parts of your body or is excreted from the body as waste.
The optimal amount of protein your muscles are capable of absorbing during a meal has been found to be around 25g to 35g.They found that in fact, by focusing primarily or too heavily on protein intake, an individual might be overlooking other vital nutrients in their diet, nutrients found in fresh fruit, vegetables, whole grains and healthy fats which themselves are shown to assist with muscle recovery.
The research concludes that what in fact matters the most is your total protein intake throughout the day. This then means that we, as a society, need to rethink how we consume protein, particularly when on a bulking cycle. Instead of consuming 60g of protein in one single meal or in a shake (such as the old HULK with 50g) where an extremely large amount of this protein is potentially going to waste, the studies recommend that we consume 25g – 35g of protein four or more times a day to achieve the desired results.
Based on the research and findings, the updated 2020 HULK GAINER is formulated with a number of key differences:
- A more absorbable 30g protein replaces the previous 50g protein. More and more research is finding that the body can only absorb around 30g of protein in one “sitting” or meal. We have not compromised the quality of the protein, the protein is still grass-fed whey protein as opposed to other soy based alternatives on the market.
- An increase in the carbohydrates, from 145g to 165g. Both the patented carbohydrates Cluster Dextrin® and Palatinose® remain, ensuring quality carbs for muscle growth; muscles need carbs to grow and they will use carbs to repair and recover first.
- Calories remain the same at 825 kcal.
- Now with 5g of Creatine Monohydrate added, a research proven anabolic muscle growth ingredient.
- Natural Stevia leaf extract replaces the traditional artificial sweeteners as a healthier alternative.
Further to the point, there is only a certain amount of protein that your muscles can absorb in one sitting. From our research and development last year (2019) we found findings from various new studies that indicated the optimal dose of protein in a single sitting is around 30g.
Based on the above outcomes and research studies, we have reduced the protein count, keeping it around the optimal protein absorption area. The reformulated the HULK GAINER now includes creatine as an anabolic (tissue building) and Stevia as a natural sweetener. The carbs have been increased, allowing the product to still retain the caloric value of 825kcal and as a result, the user is now able to get the most effective product for their money, as opposed to a product where there might be potential protein, and monetary, wastage.